Orzo Salad with Chickpeas & Cherry Tomatoes
With the hot & humid AZ temps, we did not want to heat up the kitchen with a heavy, hot dinner tonight, so we opted for this refreshing Orzo Chickpea/Cherry Tomato Salad.
· 2 cups Orzo pasta
· 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
· 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
· 1 Pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
· 3/4 cup finely chopped Onions or Scallions
· 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
· 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
· 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
· Freshly ground pepper to taste
· 1 teaspoon parsley
· 1 teaspoon dill
1. Cook the orzo according to the package directions.
2. Toss the orzo into a large bowl with the chopped tomatoes, onions, drained beans, and chopped basil leaves.
3. In a separate bowl/pyrex measuring cup, mix up the fresh lemon juice with the EVOO and then add your spices to this mixture.
4. Season to taste with fresh ground pepper, or any other desired seasonings.
5. Pour the lemon dressing immediately over the pasta mixture and stir gently to coat.
6. Chill until ready to eat and serve over a bed of spinach or lettuce leaves. Enjoy!